Thursday, May 13, 2021

New Girl In Little Cove - Harlequin Book Review


Rachel O’Brien has left her life and troubles behind in Toronto and heads to Little Cove, Newfoundland to be a French teacher in a local school. When she arrives in town, she may have bitten off more than she can handle.

Soon Rachel finds herself immersed in a new way of life along with a new language she is struggling to understand. Along the way she meets many new friends, a few foes and a bunch of students who are not that excited about learning French. Throw in a group of older women called the hookers, a man name Phonse who teaches her the fiddle, a few trips to a local pub, and a handsome teacher in her school, Rachel soon finds that life in a small town may be just what she needs.

I honestly think that this novel by Damhnait Monaghan is one of the best novels I had read to date. When I started, I could not stop turning the pages. As a fellow Canadian, I just had to giggle at how Rachel had to learn the language of Newfoundlanders, as I have had the pleasure of having many friends from Newfoundland.  There are too many quirky sayings to quote, so trust me, you will want to pick up this book to see what I am talking about. Every character brought so much warmth and humor to the story along with real life struggles they were facing. We as readers get to watch the characters develop in such a brilliant way, they become family before we even know it. I also enjoyed learning about Newfoundland, their language and their history. I am now more anxious to visit for myself. Thank you so much to Harlequin Publishing, Damhnait Monaghan, and Netgalley for an advanced copy of the book to read and review for my honest opinions. A solid five stars!

 

DAMHNAIT MONAGHAN was once a mainlander who taught in a small fishing village in Newfoundland. A former teacher and lawyer, Monaghan has almost sixty publication credits, including flash fiction, creative non-fiction, and short stories. Her short prose has won or placed in various writing competitions and has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize, Best Small Fictions, and Best Microfictions. Her Lessons in Little Passage placed in the top six from more than 350 entries in the 2019 International Caledonia Novel Award.

 Social Links:

Author Website

Twitter: @Downith

Instagram: @Downith1

Facebook: @AuthorDMonaghan

Goodreads


NEW GIRL AT LITTLE COVE

Author: Damhnait Monaghan

ISBN: 9781525811500

Publication Date: May 11, 2021

Publisher: Graydon House Books

 

Buy Links:

BookShop.org

Harlequin

Barnes & Noble

Amazon

Books-A-Million

Powell’s

Thank you so much for stopping by the farmhouse. Lynn

  Affiliate Disclosure: I am so blessed to be able to share and create content free of charge. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases so, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links is very much appreciated. All the items are supplies that I personally use and recommend. Thank you again for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to leave a comment, I really appreciate it. Lynn