Thursday, May 20, 2021

DIY Pallet Planter with Step by Step Instuctions



Good Morning Friends!!! Spring has sprung and it's time to get planting. We are building a greenhouse this year so I wanted some permanent planters for the greenhouse. After a visit to Pinterest and a tutorial from Lovely Green's blog, I had an idea in mind! After convincing my son to pick up a bunch of  pallets from our local lumber yard, I was ready! Then it was time to convince hubby that we were going to embark on a fun project! Below is a step by step of how we built the planter. 


STEP 1: The first thing we did was choose a SAFE pallet as we are going to grow veggies in the boxes. All pallets looks different, so yours may not look like the one we had, but that's ok! This is a great guide from 1001 Pallets to help you read the symbols stamped on your pallet to help you choose a safe one.


STEP 2: The instructions I was following said to cut the pallet into 3 equal sections.....BUT...we did not have an equal number of boards, so we chose to make the bottom 3 boards wide and each side 2 boards wide. So after we cut it ( hubby used the skill saw, I watched), this is what our pallet looked like. The size of your finished planter will depend on the size of your pallet. 


STEP 3: When we flipped the the sides over, we took off the board on the inside. These will become your end pieces.

STEP 4: We took the two boards we removed and cut them in half for the end pieces.


STEP 5: Now it's time to put the planter together. Take one of the side pieces and attach it to the bottom of the planter. I got a lesson on how to use a pneumatic nail gun! Now that was fun!


STEP 6: Now attach the other side to the bottom. Ohhhh this is coming together!




STEP 7: Now it's time to take the end pieces and attach them to the planter.



STEP 8: This is what our finished planter box looked like. You can cut off the edges, but I chose to keep them. I thought they had that picket fence look. You can add in boards from other pallets, but I had a different idea to make them look rustic. If you are wondering what all those sticks are in the background, that is my fence I made from sticks I found down by the river.



STEP 9: Since we live by the river, we always have a bunch of branches and sticks, so I went and gathered some wood.

STEP 10: With my trusty Sawzall and my pneumatic nail gun, I got to work. These are my finished boxes. I was quite happy with the result and was quite proud I learnt to use new tools. 


STEP 11: I then lined the boxes with landscape fabric I had in the garage. Now all I need is the greenhouse and I can move all those veggies from the garage to the greenhouse. 
We ended up making five planter boxes and have some pallets left over for my new project....a potting bench! Wait until hubby hears this new idea. Have a wonderful day friends, and have fun building your own planter boxes. 



Thank you so much for stopping by the farmhouse. Lynn 

  Affiliate Disclosure: I am so blessed to be able to share and create content free of charge. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases so, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links is very much appreciated. All the items are supplies that I personally use and recommend. Thank you again for your support.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to leave a comment, I really appreciate it. Lynn